Next deadline for U.S. citizens resident in the U.S.: TBA
Next deadline for all other eligible applicants: visit https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/timeline/
Each year Gates Cambridge offers ~80 full scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the U.K. to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge, especially programs leading to an academic career. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the U.S. round and 55 available in the International round. The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Prospective applicants should make an individual advising appointment with Alicia Hayes in the OURS National Scholarships Office.
- be a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- be applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD, MPhil/MLitt, or a one-year postgraduate course (exceptions are listed here)
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- reasons for their choice of course
- commitment to improving the lives of others
- capacity for leadership
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, individuals must apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section on the combined application form. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application when reviewing applications.
The application includes:
- Statement of Purpose (600 words)
- Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
- Three letters of recommendation (two academic, plus Gates Cambridge Reference)
For more information about this opportunity, visit the Gates Cambridge Scholarship website.