Application deadline: October 16, 2023, 2:00 pm (PDT) – Access the application here.
The Luce Scholars Program was launched by the Henry Luce Foundation in 1974 to enhance the understanding of Asia among potential leaders in American society. The program provides stipends, language training, and individualized professional placement in Asia for 18 Luce Scholars each year. We welcome applications from college seniors, graduate students, and young professionals in a variety of fields, with a range of backgrounds and experiences, who have had limited exposure to Asia.
Prospective applicants should make an individual advising appointment with Alicia Hayes in the OURS National Scholarships Office.
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- May be graduating senior, recent graduate, or young professional under the age of 32, or no more than three years out from receiving a bachelor’s degree
- Recent change: may have majored in Asian Studies
- Candidates who have spent a significant amount of time (18 weeks or more since beginning college) in more than one of the countries where we place Luce Scholars are not eligible to apply for the Luce.
- Candidates who have spent an accumulated total of 18 weeks since beginning college in one of the countries where Luce Scholars are placed are still eligible to apply for the Luce in a country where they do not have significant experience.
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Outstanding capacity for leadership
- Record of high achievement
- Mature and clearly defined career interests in any field, with evidence of potential for professional accomplishment
- Personal qualities such as flexibility, adaptability, creativity, humility, openness to new ideas, and sensitivity to cultural differences are as important as academic achievement
- Biographical information, including 400-word bio
- 1–2 short answer questions
- Personal statement
- Informal 1–2 minute video response
- Two letters of recommendation
- Academic transcript
- Optional supplemental portfolio, additional writing sample, or other submission
For more information about this opportunity, visit the Luce Scholars Program website.