Next campus deadline: TBA
Campus Application Instructions (coming soon)
Partner University Application (coming soon)
Letter of Recommendation Cover Sheet (coming soon)
Please note: Applicants from Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan need to apply through both the admissions portal and the Peking University Graduate Admissions website. There are two application timelines within Peking University for HMT applicants: Yenching Academy – August 15 to December 3, 2022 (12:00 noon Beijing time) – and Peking University – December 1, 2021 to January 14, 2023 (5:00pm Beijing time)
The Yenching Academy offers a highly customizable Master’s program in China Studies for English speakers with varied levels of Chinese language competency. At the core of the program is an emphasis on interdisciplinarity and thinking about China – past, present and future – from both Chinese and international perspectives. Scholars can choose courses from any of six research areas, one of which they will choose for their theses. A wide range of electives offered by the Academy and other Peking University schools and departments supplements core courses. As a college integrated within Peking University, the Yenching Academy prepares a diverse group of exceptional international and Chinese students with the knowledge of China that they need to fulfill their potential as global citizens and leaders. The fellowship covers tuition and fees, accommodation, and living costs.
Prospective applicants must make an individual advising appointment with Keila Diehl, the Yenching Scholars campus representative.
- hold a bachelor’s degree by August 31, 2023
- preferably be 25 years old or younger on August 31, 2023
- be able provide an English language test score that demonstrates proficiency (if not a native speaker)
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- outstanding academic record
- demonstrated leadership skills
- active in extracurricular activities
- actively engaged with the community and strong sense of social responsibility
- strong moral character
- demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary study of China
- demonstrated English proficiency
U.C. Berkeley students and eligible alumni must submit all application materials to Keila Diehl, the program’s campus representative.
- Completed Partner University Application (coming soon)
- Personal Statement (750 words)
- Statement of Research Interest (1,500 words)
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Copy of diploma(s) or Certification of Enrollment (available through CalCentral)
- Two letters of recommendation with cover sheets (coming soon)
For more information about this opportunity, visit the Yenching Academy website.